Our fifth session of the BRICs Seminar was held on Wednesday, December 9, 6PM..We received Dr. Ricardo Velasquez Leyer, from the Universidad Iberoamericana of Mexico City.
The title of his persentation :
« The COVID-19 pandemia and the limitations of social policy expansion in Latin America »
Dr. Ricardo Velázquez Leyer
Below you will find the link to the presentation:
Dr Ricardo Velasquez Leyer’s short bio
Full time professor at the Department of Social and Political Sciences of the Universidad Iberoamericana of Mexico City, where he also coordinates the postgraduate programmes in social sciences. He holds a PhD in Social Policy from the University of Bath of the UK. Member of the National Researchers’ System of Mexico since 2017. Specialises on comparative social policy in Latin American countries. He has published research on the impact of social policies on poverty levels across the region, the relation between democracy and social policy innovations in Brazil and Mexico, the recent development of the Mexican welfare regime, the political economy of housing provision in that same country, the causal mechanisms of healthcare reforms in Brazil and Mexico, among others topics. He teaches courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels on public policy analysis, comparative social policy, local government and social research methods.
- Velázquez Leyer, R. (2020) ‘Has Social Policy Expansion in Latin America Reduced Welfare Decommodification and Defamilialisation? Evidence from an Overview of the Mexican Welfare Regime’. Social Policy and Society, Volume 19, Issue 4, pp.645-659
- Huesca Reynoso, L., Martínez-Martínez O. and Velázquez Leyer, R. (2020). ‘Reconfiguring Social Policy from the “Left” in Mexico: So Far, Not so Good?’. Latin American Policy (early view).
- Velázquez Leyer, R. (2020) ‘Democracy and New Ideas in Latin American Social Policy: The Origins of Conditional Cash Transfers in Brazil and Mexico’. Journal of International and Comparative Social Policy, Volume 32, Issue 2, pp. 125-141.
- Martínez-Martínez, O., Ramírez-López, A. and Velázquez Leyer, R. (2020) ‘Food Well-Being in Older Adults: Effects of a Universal Non-contributory Pension in Mexico’. Social Indicators Research (early view).
- Velázquez Leyer, R. (2019) ‘Aiming to Keep Poor Mexican Families at the Breadline (but Not Higher): The Effects of Minimum Wage, Tax and Social Policy between 1994 and 2012’. Social Policy and Administration, Volume 53, Issue 5, pp. 743-760